Where you come for your share of Puppy fun!

Monday, October 10, 2011

My Little Secret

Alright, so I really couldn't keep this a secret for much longer. I'm too excited about all the possibilities. Before any of you ask, no I'm not getting a puppy. Not yet anyway.

Most of you know that raising a puppy is like having a full time job without the pay and benefits. We puppy raise because we love doing it, but it does take a lot of effort and a lot of our time especially if we're raising the puppy by ourselves like I would be doing. Now, I've never actually raised a puppy by myself during school time. My dad and I were co-raisers with Freya and my leader Mary and I were co-raisers with Rocco. Hilly was only mine, but it was summer and I had no other responsibilities.

I've been thinking a lot about what it would mean for me to get a puppy while in University. It would mean that I would have to give up a lot. Mostly, I would have to give up three months of my social life from when I get the puppy to when it's old enough to be taken anywhere. To be honest, I don't know if I could really give a puppy all of the attention that it needs from me. But that doesn't mean that I'm not going to try.

About a week ago I emailed what is the equivalent to a puppy group leader about what I need to do in order to become a sitter. I don't know why I didn't think about doing that over the summer, but it seems like a brilliant idea if I do say so myself.

What I've decided to do it just puppy sit for a little while to see if I'm able to handle a puppy and my social life at the same time. If by Spring Break I'm confident that having a puppy will not interfere (majorly) with my social life or my studies then I'll put in an app to get a puppy. I will most likely ask for a puppy that is already over four months old so that I don't have to deal with potty training and a five hour University schedule. While I would absolutely love a little 8 week old puppy, I think it would be a lot smarter for me and better for the puppy if I were to get an older puppy.

I haven't heard back from the puppy leader yet, but I'm hoping to hear back within the next week. Hopefully, by the end of October I will have everything done and I can start taking puppies in for a day or two when needed. I let you know how everything goes.

1 comment:

The pups and I love to hear from our readers!