Where you come for your share of Puppy fun!

Monday, September 5, 2011

What's in a Name (Hilly Addition)

Hilly was just laying next to me on the couch while I was finishing up some packing, but she decided that it would be more fun to go off and play in the backyard and eat things she's not suppose to. But as she was sitting here with me so cuddly and asleep, I was thinking about the past three months.

Before I knew I was getting Hilly I knew I was getting a puppy from the Dylan/Aqua litter born on March 23, 2010. My leader made the mistake of telling me the about age and that she thought it was another Dylan puppy. I was really excited because I was following Halette and her raiser since they picked Halette up, but I was also really nervous. I didn't want to get either Halette or Havasu because I thought it would be too awkward with the whole blogging thing. So, I went to the littermate list and looked up the "H" litter. I looked at all the names. I pretty much liked all the names, but there was one that stood out to me.

Hilly

I thought, "Gosh! I don't want to get HILLY! That's an awful name." Sure enough, the next day when it was made official, Mary emailed me and said, "You're getting HILLY." Haha! I couldn't believe that I had gotten the worst name in the litter!

Over the two months before I went to the puppy truck to pick her up, I got use to the name Hilly. I didn't like it, but I got use to it. I did grow to like it more and more. Now, I'm sort of fond her name. It's cute and it fits her small stature. But, now that she's Career Changed I've been battling with whether or not to change her name. I knew that if I did I would have to change it to something similar to make the transition easier and I really liked the names "TILLY" and "MILLIE". But then I started thinking about her name and what it really means. Here's what I found;

Name: Hilly
Origin: a variant of the name Halleli (which is Hebrew)
Meaning: Greatly Praised
Popularity: None at all. It hasn't been in the top 100 baby names in...well, ever.

I love unique names that mean something beautiful. I say Hilly's name is a perfect fit for me. Plus, she's got all these great nicknames!

Nicknames: Silly Hilly, Hills, Hilly Billy, Sweet Hilly Bean, Little Hill Pill

1 comment:

  1. Funny how that works. When I got Ardella back I thought I would change her name, but I just couldn't. She was Ardella. It's unusual, no one ever forgets it, and the name is perfect for her.

    ReplyDelete

The pups and I love to hear from our readers!